This article will tell you the easiest way to set up create a Wi-Fi hotspot on a Windows PC or Laptop without having to install any software. All you need is a Windows PC or laptop with the operating system Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10. Laptops have wireless adapter inbuilt, whereas some desktops need to have it plugged in externally as a USB device.
The easiest way to create Wi-Fi hotspot on Windows PC
- Open the start menu and find Command Prompt, right-click it and click on Run as administrator. You might be prompted to enter your administrator user name and password if you are not logged in as an administrator.
- Once it is ready, enter the following command and press enter.
netsh wlan set hostednetwork ssid=MyWiFiHotspot key=MyWiFiPassword mode=allow
This command will set up wifi hotspot. Here the SSID "MyWiFiHotspot" is the name of our hotspot and key "MyWiFiPassword" is going to be our wifi password. SSID can be anything of your choice and key can be anything longer than 8 characters with no whitespaces allowed. If one needs to have a hotspot name that has white spaces, it should be enclosed within double-quotes.
netsh wlan set hostednetwork ssid="My WiFi Hotspot" key=MyWiFiPassword mode=allow
- Now we will need to start the hotspot that we have set up. Run the following command on the Command Prompt.
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
We can now connect other Wi-Fi devices to the Wi-Fi hotspot we just created.
- To stop the hotspot run the following command.
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
- To change SSID we can use this command.
netsh wlan set hostednetwork ssid=MyNewWiFiHotspotName
- Similarly to change the key that is our password, we can use this command.
netsh wlan set hostednetwork key=MyNewWiFiPassword
- To check status of the hotspot we can use the following command.
netsh wlan show hostednetwork
Thank you. That's all you need to do. I hope it helped you create a Wi-Fi hotspot on your Windows PC. If you liked the blog please do share with friends.
Do leave your comments below.